King-Gamache Family History Page

Print Bookmark



Matches 2,301 to 2,350 of 2,773

      «Prev «1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 56» Next»

   Notes   Linked to 
2301 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F513
2302 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F10195
2303 Texas, Marriage Collection, 1814-1909 and 1966-2011

Name: Lionel K Gamache
Gender: Male
Birth Year: abt 1967
Age: 23
Marriage Date: 17 Nov 1990
Marriage Place: Potter, Texas, USA
Spouse: Deborah M Mula
Spouse Gender: Female
Spouse Age: 24
Source: Texas Marriage Index, 1966-2002 
Family F9768
2304 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F10579
2305 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F12747
2306 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F514
2307 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F513
2308 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F5814
2309 The (Sumter, SC)State, June 11, 1972 p.3D Hantover, Henry Howard (I480)
2310 The Battle of Champion Hill, fought May 16, 1863, was the pivotal battle in the Vicksburg Campaign of the American Civil War. Union commander Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and the Army of the Tennessee pursued the retreating Confederate Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton and defeated his army twenty miles to the east of Vicksburg, Mississippi, leading inevitably to the Siege of Vicksburg and surrender. The battle is also known as Bakers Creek. Gamache, Elias Gustave (I6846)
2311 The early Bouchard generation (descendants of "Le Petit Claude") were raised
on the Ephrem Bouchard family homestead on the southwest quarter of
section 20-21-15 four miles northwest of McCreary Manitoba.
Ephrem moved to Manitoba in 1891. 
Bouchard, Ephrem (I5841)
2312 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I73337221)
2313 The marriage of Miss Bernice Steinhardt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur S teinhardt, 36 Selma street, Plymouth, to Dirk Noordyk, son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Noordyk, Plymouth, route 2, took place Saturday at 10 a. m., at t he parsonage of St. John the Baptist church at Plymouth with the Rev. A. J. July officiating. The bride wore a gown of white satin and a tulle veil. Her bouquet was designed of yellow roses and sweetpeas. Miss. Ethyl Strobel, attending as bridesmaid, wore a blue taffeta frock with blue a ccessories and carried red roses and snapdragons. Victor Steinhardt, brother of the bride, attended as best man. A wedding dinner for the immedia te relatives of the bride and bridegroom was served at the Steinhardt home at 2 o?clock Saturday afternoon.

Sheboygan Press - 4/27/1937
Family F495

Silver Wedding
Over 400 guests were present for a silver wedding anniversary surprise party Saturday evening at the Standard Hall, given in honor of Mr and Mrs. Carl Mohar whose wedding anniversary is Feb.4. The honored couple were married 25 years ago in the SS. Cyril and Methodius Church, of which they are faithful members, by the Rev, Father James Cherne. Four children were born of this union, three sons, Carl, Jr Casimir, and Robert and one
daughter, Isabella. Casimir died in an unfortunate accident on July 4, 1928. Both Mr. and Mrs. Mohar are active in various church organizations For many years they were members of the church choir Their dramatic ability has been evidenced many times as they have appeared in various plays sponsored by Dramatic club, Finzgar, to which they also belong. Mrs Mohar's executive ability in the Church organizations has been shown to advantage in that she has been secretary at Queen of May Lodge No 157 of K.S.K.J. organization for years. Her trustworthiness and loyalty have earned for her a position on the supreme board of latter organization having been elected to the vice-presidency at a recent convention She is also treasurer of the Christian Mothers' Society and a member of the auditing committee of the Slovenian Women's Union No. 1. Mr. and Mrs. Mohar were born in Jugoslavia, the former coming to Sheboygan in July,.1910 and the latter in December, 1912. Mr. Mohar is a building contractor. The honored couple were recipients of a silver basket on which were tied 25 silver dollars, many gifts, flowers, one of which was presented by the Dramatic Club, and congratulatory messages.

Family F320

Miss Emma Oehlberg Wedded to Carl Mohar Jr. Saturday

The wedding of Miss Emma Oehlberg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. Oehlberg, 921 Niagara Avenue, Carl S. Mohar, Jr.,son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Mohar, 1138 Dillingham Avenue, took place at 9 a. m. Saturday in SS. Cyril and Methodius. With the Rev. Rudolf Potochik conducting the ceremony. Stanza Skok Francis was the organ and the junior choir sang the mass. For her wedding, the bride chose white lace and tulle gown made with a long train, a high neckline and long sleeves. Her double-tulle fingertip veil extended from a cap designed with pearls. She carried a crown of American Beauty roses, white larkspur and babysbreath. Identical organza gowns fashioned with full skirts and short puffed sleeves were worn by the bride's three attendants. Miss Isabelle Mohar, who attended her brother's bride as maid of honor, wore light blue and carried an all pink bouquet roses and larkspur. Miss Esther Oehlberg, sister of the bride, appeared in pale yellow and held a bouquet of yellow and white larkspur, while Miss Esther Herman, dressed in pale pink, carried pink and white larkspur. All three attendants wore ribbons in their hair to match their dresses. The bridegroom was attended by Peter Gilipsky as best man. Robert Mohar and Henry Oehlberg were ushers. The church service was followed by a wedding breakfast served to members of the bridal party at the bridegroom's home and at noon wedding dinner for 25 guests was served at Smiling's restaurant. The bride and bridegroom are on a secret wedding trip and after May will be at home at 1138 Dillngham Avenue. The bride, a 1933 Sheboygan High School graduate, is at present employed by the Wisconsin State Employment Service at Manitowoc. Mr. Mohar attended the Vocational school and is now associated with his father as a carpenter-contractor.
Family F483
2316 The State April 9, 1961 p.3B
Schwartz, Gertrude (I559)

In 1920 roads throughout this section of the country were primitive, the reservation site being almost inaccessible at certain seasons except by horseback. When construction gangs began to arrive, army wagons and trucks loaded with lumber and supplies had to be driven over trails, through swamps and over rocky ledges. Wagon mules had either to go without water or to drink from stagnant pools while, if drinking water for the men failed, the situation really became serious. Wagon trains progressed, despite the indignant protestations of copperheads along the winding, uncertain paths.

A modern city has been built at this place, with fire-proof buildings containing the latest equipment and mechanical devices, concrete roads and walks, sewage system with septic tank and filter beds, water pumping station, with water rectifying plant, a 200,000 gallon reservoir and a 100,-000 gallon tank with a 100 foot tower. There is a refrigerating plant, gas system, fire protection, street lights, telephone system, incinerator, and a modern power house with four of the largest boilers used by the government. There is a macadam roadway from Dawson Springs, three and one-half miles, a network of ditches, materials, men, mules, wagon and trucks.
The electric current comes from Earlington, 16 miles away, and a line has been built ?over the hills and through the woods? for this distance, Five wells have been sunk.
The following was written October 7, 1922:

?The idea of establishing a hospital for disabled veterans of the World War at Dawson Springs, Kentucky, was first conceived shortly after the close of the war by Mr. Theodore R. Troendle, of Hopkinsville, Kentucky, and Representative D. H. Kincheloe. An appropriation for $1,500,000 for this purpose was secured by Act of Congress under date of March 3, 1919, providing that this amount should be expended on a sanitorium of 500 beds on land to be acquired by gift. The land was acquired by purchase from various citizens of Christian, Hopkins, and Caidwell Counties, Kentucky. The money for this purchase was raised by popular subscription to the amount of $60,000. The remaining $40,000 to purchase the 5,000 acres of land was appropriated by the legislature of the state of Kentucky.

In August, 1920, the work was started by contractors on the present site. It soon became evident in order to complete the hospital in accordance with original plans, an additional appropriation would be necessary, although the original $1,500,000 was augmented by immense quantities of salvaged material from the various army camps, especially Camp Johnston, at Jacksonville, Florida. An additional appropriation was therefore requested in the amount of $750,000, which was granted by Congress. New contracts were let July 1, 1921, and the work was rushed to completion. The buildings were finally completed in February, 1922.

Under date of February, 1922, the hospital was formally dedicated. Memorable ceremonies signified this event. The entire legislature of the State of Kentucky, the Governor and his staff, together with Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, Edward Clifford, Representatives Langley and Kincheloe, Dr. S. M. Rinehart, of the Veterans? Bureau, Colonel James Mattison, of the National Military Homes, Mr. Emmett O?Neal, State Commander of the American Legion, Miss Florence Waite of the Red Cross, Mr. William Lynch and Roy Scott of the city government of Dawson Springs, and many other national government officials and officials of the state of Kentucky and various veterans? organizations were present. It is estimated that more than 12,000 persons were present at the ceremonies. The buildings were dedicated, but at that time the hospital was not ready for opening. Due to the fact that equipment had to be installed in the buildings and a rectification plant for the treatment of the water had to be erected, the hospital was not opened until April 24, 1922.

The first patient received at the hospital was Miss Grace Patterson, a disabled nurse.
The hospital consists of 28 buildings of permanent construction. The total appropriations consisted of $2,250,000 for the erection of the buildings and installation of equipment. The land upon which the hospital is built cost $100,000. Since these amounts were expended, the government has continued to expend various amounts on equipment and on the maintenance and operation of the hospital, so that to October 7, 1922, the total amount spent by the United States in the building and operation of the Dawson Springs hospital was $2,730,481.38.
In completing this plant, a modern city was built, with fire proof buildings and complete equipment and mechanical devices. The roads leading from Dawson Springs and from the railroad spur were constructed. Streets, street lights, telephone system, refrigerating plants, gas system, and modern power house were constructed. A steel bridge and trestle were built over the Tradewater River; in a word a complete plant was built from the ground up.
It is now equipped to handle approximately 500 patients. At the present time the patient population is 300. The hospital specializes in the treatment of tuberculosis and does not attempt to handle any other class of cases.

Compiled by the Dawson Springs Commercial Club, 1924


The United States Veterans? Hospital Number Seventy-nine is located three and one-half miles south of Dawson Springs, Ky., on the road leading from Dawson Springs to Hopkinsville. The hospital proper occupies a site within a densely wooded area at an altitude of 635 feet. While the reservation proper comprises more than five thousand acres, only about twenty-five acres are used for buildings and grounds. Ground was broken early in 1921 and much excavating and filling was necessary, as the ground upon which the hospital is now located was broken by deep gullies and it was necessary to excavate and fill these gullies to properly locate the buildings.
At present, the hospital comprises 27 buildings, including Administrative Building, Junior and Senior Officers? Quarters, Nurses? Home, Infirmaries, Ambulance and Receiving Ward, Mess Hall, Recreation Building, Chapel, Power Plant, Laundry and Attendants? Quarters. The erection of four additional Officers? Quarters and the Personnel Recreation Building has just been completed.

The construction cost of the present hospital was approximately $2,-250,000.00. This money was spent in the erection of the buildings, grading of the grounds, road building and the mechanical equipment. The reservation surrounding the hospital was in a measure donated by philanthropic citizens, and practically the only cost to the Government in the erection of the hospital was the buildings and mechanical equipment. This hospital is the last word in hospital construction. It has been pronounced by experts as the best hospital maintained by the United States Veterans? Bureau. The operating expenses run about $45,000.00 per month. Approximately 45 per cent of this sum is absorbed in salary. Fuel consumption per day is about ?six tons of coal in summer to sixteen tons in winter. This coal is purchased locally and hauled by hOrses and wagons a distance of five miles from the mine to the power plant. The electric current used in the hospital is purchased from the Kentucky Utilities Company, and is furnished through a power line from Earlington, a distance of eighteen miles. The average consumption of electric current is about 23,000 kilowatts per month. The water used in the hospital is supplied by six wells, having a depth of from 250 to 500 feet. The water is pumped from these wells through a purifying plant to a 100,000 gallon tank. All buildings are constructed of hollow tile with concrete basements and floors, finished on the outside with stucco and are all practically fire-proof; the laundry, infirmary buildings and mess hall are equipped with automatic elevators.
Gamache, Martin Campbell (I11360)
2318 Theodore was the first Postmaster of Pelkie, MI Family F68
2319 There is no headstone for this grave Kepple, Andrew (I26166)
2320 They Never Came Home: A Story of Three Brothers Who Fought in the Civil War
5, January 2012Civil War
Joe Johnston is a guest contributor who will be writing articles related to the Civil War. This is his first article in the series on History Happens Here. His latest book, The Mack Marsden Murder Mystery, was published by the Missouri History Museum in 2011.
Louis D. Gamache was a country doctor who lived near the little town of Rock Creek in Jefferson County, Missouri, bordering St. Louis on the south. He and his wife, Elizabeth, had a farm and nine children. Every week the family loaded into the wagon and went to mass at the Catholic church up the hill. Like a lot of Missourians in 1861, they hoped the threatened Civil War would just pass like a spring storm.
Louis and Elizabeth GamacheLouis D. Gamache and Elizabeth Gamache of Jefferson County, Missouri, ca. 1880. The couple lost three sons who fought for the South in the Civil War. Courtesy of Joe Johnston.
The Gamaches owned no slaves. In fact, in a fascinating twist of logic, they leaned toward the Confederate cause but were opposed to secession. They figured those who were anti-slavery were forcing the nation into a split, and the only way to hold the Union together was to preserve slavery.
The older Gamache girls were married, and their husbands had no intention of going to war. Louis and Elizabeth tried hard to keep their boys from enlisting too, but Elias, John, and Jerome Gamache, ages 18, 19, and 22, were hot-headed and ready to fight.
As a state, Missouri was officially neutral. But on May 10, 1861, about 25 miles from the Gamache farm, Unionist troops seized the state?s arsenal and fired on civilians, killing over two dozen. In the next month, Unionists took over the state government, and Governor Claiborne Jackson called for 50,000 volunteers to defend Missouri from the Union army. Despite their father?s pleas and their mother?s tears, the Gamache brothers were among thousands who answered Jackson?s call. It was a sad day in Rock Creek as the boys started down the road, each carrying a bedroll, some corn fritters and boiled eggs, a rifle, and a good knife. They walked 10 miles east to catch the train to the end of the line at Rolla, where they would enroll in the new Missouri State Guard.
When they descended the train steps, the brothers were looking at a sea of men, mules, muskets, tents, and wagons. Officers, with no more uniform than anyone else, somehow managed to keep organizing, directing, counting, and ordering. The Gamaches were assigned to a company and told to stay with that group until further notice.
Like all the recruits, they knew nothing about where they were going or what they?d be doing. Thousands of them had no weapon. But confidence surrounded them like a fog, embracing them, yet blurring their vision of what they faced. These were men of simple politics who foresaw a simple solution to a massively complex conflict. They laughed and joked that it would be over quickly, maybe even with the first shooting.
General Sterling PriceConfederate general Sterling Price, ca.1861?1865.
Each day, the boys saw General Sterling Price riding among his troops, a splendid figure of substantial girth, but carrying it well on his 6?2? frame. His white curls framed a face that was authoritative, yet flushed with enthusiasm for his job. His men called, ?Good mornin?, Old Pap,? as he smiled, talked, and treated each enlisted man in rags with the same respect he accorded his officers.
After two weeks, when their passion had dwindled to endless boredom, the troops finally set off marching to the rattle of sabers, drinking cups, and harness chains, in a symphony of boot steps, thundering wagons, clomping horses, teamsters? calls, and officers? commands. They went west, south of Carthage, to the sprawling Cowskin Prairie, broader and flatter than any field back home. They received only a little training before August 10, 1861, when the Battle of Wilson?s Creek surprised everybody with its ferocity. The first blood was shed in the war. Missourians fought Missourians. And Price?s undisciplined farm boys took a terrible fight to the Federal forces, sending them running in retreat.
General Price continued on the offensive, moving three weeks later to the Federal fort at Lexington, which was surrounded by 12-foot-high breastworks. Price?s men took the breastworks, and then in the Battle of the Hemp Bales, rolled the bales in front of them for cover. They drove closer and closer to the Union lines, while Union bullets buried themselves harmlessly in the hemp, until they took the fortress with one screaming charge.
It was a soul-stirring victory for the State Guard. But it was not followed with any support from Jefferson Davis and the Confederate government. Price could hold none of the ground he?d gained, and his only choice was to fall back to southwestern Missouri. The Union followed and kept pressing, until finally on February 12, 1862, Price and his men crossed the line into Arkansas.
There, on a cold March morning, they turned to meet the pursuing Union troops in fierce fighting at Elkhorn Tavern. The South won the day, but then had to fall back because the Union strengthened and repositioned overnight. That?s usually how it was. The rank and file soldiers from Missouri, including the Gamaches, had to be satisfied with brief tastes of victory followed by retreat, and the end nowhere in sight.
All along, Price wanted to retake Missouri and restore its lawfully elected government. But Missouri was surrounded by Union states on three sides. And the concern that topped all others, Jefferson Davis couldn?t send troops to Missouri because he needed every man and bullet to defend Richmond and the core states of the Confederacy. By that fall the Confederacy began to understand that it couldn?t hold such distant land as Missouri, and the State Guard was called to join the other Southern forces gathering in Mississippi.
Tears rolled down Price?s cheeks as he addressed his men encamped on the west bank of the Mississippi River. They couldn?t go back to Missouri without supply lines and more troops. They were needed in Tennessee to repel Ulysses Grant?s push there against General Albert Sidney Johnston. If they could deliver a mighty defeat against Grant, then the army would push north and retake Missouri.
Knowing Price was right, his men had to decide whether to desert the army or go fight Grant. The men loved Price enough to follow him into hell, so they loaded up in boats and crossed the Mississippi. Ironically, they were too late, as Grant and Johnston clashed at Shiloh, Tennessee, the very next day, with the Missourians still a five-day march away.
The next day, April 8, Gen. Price resigned his commission in the State Guard and became a general in the Army of the Confederate States of America. The loyal Gamache boys followed their beloved ?Old Pap? in joining the Confederate regulars. At Camp Churchill outside Corinth, Mississippi, they enlisted in Company F of the 2nd Missouri Infantry Volunteers, under Capt. Tom Carter, who?d been in regular Confederate gray for over a year and had been wounded at Elkhorn Tavern. About the same time, Price placed himself and his men under the command of General Van Dorn, newly appointed chief of the Army of the West, and they all knew that only fighting would get them home again.
But Missouri and home were getting farther and farther away. Men rebelled at the idea of defending other people?s homes, when their own were occupied by the Blue Bellies, and desertions reached an all-time high. The faithful ones could only cling to their faith that each weary step was getting them closer to consolidating a grand and victorious Southern army.
Union forces kept coming, so the Confederates pulled back from Corinth. On June 7 they went into camp at Priceville, 6 miles east of Tupelo. There, they waited. Price was not any happier than his men, but on the 4th of July, when they surrounded his tent and demanded a speech from their beloved leader, he promised once again that some day soon they?d be going back to retake Missouri.
On July 7 they were reviewed by Generals Bragg and Hardee, who pronounced them to be ?the finest, most efficient, best drilled and most thoroughly disciplined body of troops in the Army.? The accolades did little to raise morale, however. Rations were poor, with no way to keep food cool in the miserable Mississippi heat. There were worms in the meat and cornmeal, but when hungry men came across anything edible, they cared little what condition it was in. The land was swampy, and disease-carrying mosquitos were a constant pest. When canteens ran dry, men drank from farm ponds, puddles, and slow-moving streams that carried human and animal waste. They had no way of knowing it at the time, but throughout the war, far more men would die of disease than of battle wounds.
John, the middle Gamache brother, fell ill but stayed at his post, living with dysentery until it dehydrated him so that he couldn?t stand. He died pitifully, but mercifully, on July 10, 1862, as men moaned and flies buzzed around the little field hospital of Priceville. When the army moved out at the end of the month, they left thousands more like him in the hospital at the Union Army?s mercy.
The waning days of summer 1862 were a frustrating series of movements and camps, finally bringing Jerome and Elias Gamache to another fight at the little railroad and resort town of Iuka on the Mississippi-Tennessee line. Union forces surprised them September 19 with an attack from both the north and south, but the rebels held. The Missourians under Price faced double their number of Yankees, but they fought like men possessed, running into the field firing, sending the enemy into retreat, and capturing nine cannons.
Encouraged by the victory, the army resupplied, and every man had plenty of fresh water, bacon, hard tack, and ammunition. Holding their heads high, they marched back toward Corinth and destiny. They had the honor of attacking the one place that offered the South a big strategic advantage.
When the rebels got to Corinth on October 3, 1862, they found a railroad town surrounded by earthworks, and almost a quarter-mile-wide strip of tangled trees the Yankees had piled up to stop them. The Confederates started forming for attack, but Federal marksmen shot rebel artillery horses so fast that the artillery men couldn?t get the cannons set. It was all going to be up to the infantry, and they were ready. They plunged into the river of trees, jumping, climbing over and under, always forward and through a blistering hail of Yankee rifle and cannon fire.
Behind their breastworks, the Yankees were surprised to see the rebels emerge from the timber minutes later with few casualties, yelling and running toward them, hungry for blood. Jerome and Elias jumped into the ditch in front of the earthworks and scrambled up the bank. As they mounted the top with the first wave of rebels, the Yankees broke and fell back to positions closer to the town.
In the aftermath, the Missourians looked around and could scarcely believe what they saw. Very few of them had fallen. They had driven the enemy back from heavily fortified positions. After a satisfied cheer rolled down the gray line, the men began to realize the toll the fight had taken on their bodies. The temperature was in the 90s. Exhausted, they laid back, drank their canteens dry, and bathed the faces of their friends who had collapsed from heatstroke. Price rode among them, saluting and praising them for their courage, as cheers and waving caps followed him down the line. The general sent his entire personal staff to help refill canteens and tend to the wounded and weary men.
The next morning, rested and ready to repeat their valiant charge, the men marched forward to fight again. They stopped just out of the Yankees? rifle range and formed shoulder to shoulder, presenting a magnificent display, bayonets held high and glistening in the rising sun. Jerome and Elias started forward, then with a chilling yell charged headlong into the hail of Federal gunfire. One reporter detailed the scene, saying they ran with their faces turned slightly, as if against a rainstorm, as though it might save them from a bullet. With lead whistling all around them, they burst through the Federal line and sent the enemy into full retreat.
But then, with victory assured, no reinforcements came to press the attack. Soon Yankee cannons on the flanks turned inward and pelted the rebels in a devastating crossfire. Price wept openly as he watched his men retreat across the very ground they had won, and yet he knew there was nothing else they could do.
The oldest Gamache brother, Jerome, had fallen somewhere in Corinth. The Yankees would load his body into a wagon, as they did thousands of other gray-clad boys, and roll him unceremoniously into a ditch. There would be no attempt to record the rebels? names or units or look for notes about whom to contact. The ditches were simply filled in and never marked.
The Confederates retreated quickly, as the Yankees moved to cut them off. Again, the Missourians turned and fought. At Hatchie Bridge they kept the Yanks at bay long enough to get the huge gray column across the bridge. And by the time the army could stop, they realized that thousands of them had been lost. No one knew who was killed at Corinth. Elias Gamache could only hold the rosary in his pocket and look for his brother among the exhausted marchers. But when roll was finally taken, Elias knew Jerome was missing, and there was no way of knowing whether he lay in a ditch or a hospital.
Of the 8,000 men Price had brought from Arkansas, more than half were dead or in hospitals. By December there were so many desertions and rumors of desertions to come that Price had no choice but to meet the matter head on. He assembled the men. Looking out on their faces, he knew them well, knew their misery, but also knew he had to stir them to faithful service. Like an echo, his words were shouted back through the ranks from officer to officer as he said calmly, ?All those who wish to remain in the service of this army, take one step forward. All those who wish to be shot, remain where you are.? There was a moment of complete silence as men looked at each other to be sure they?d heard correctly. Then, with a great rustling of shoes and equipment, the entire mass of men slid forward.
The winter was long. In the Confederate capitol in Richmond, commands were changed. Among them, Price was released to return to Missouri and attempt to raise a new force to retake the state. But his men had to stay. On February 7, 1863, Price stood before his troops for the last time. He told them they were needed by the Confederacy in Mississippi. He would return to Missouri to liberate their homes from the Yankee invaders. They both had a job to do, and one day they would be reunited in their beautiful Missouri.
And so Elias, the youngest and last Gamache boy, 500 miles from home, without his beloved commander, without his brothers, with only his devotion to duty to strengthen and sustain him, turned his eyes to the east and the battle ahead. Grant was throwing everything he had at the last Confederate stronghold on the Mississippi River, heavily fortified Vicksburg. He sent Federal gunboats up the river to bombard the rebel gun emplacements in the dark of night, while transports landed infantry nearby. Elias and the other rebels repulsed the attack, but it only delayed the inevitable. Grant was sending men from every direction.
On the morning of May 16, 1863, blue and gray columns moved in ponderous lines at various angles along Baker?s Creek, in the shadow of Champion?s Hill. Everyone knew something big was coming, and the tension rose until midmorning, when skirmishing escalated to fully engaged infantry and thundering artillery. The 2nd Missouri held the left flank of the Confederate line. Later in the day, after rebels were pushed from their commanding positions along the ridge, it was the 2nd Missouri that led the charge to retake the high ground. For almost three hours, as Union troops fell, fresh men took their places. The outnumbered Southerners fired all their ammunition, then, rather than abandon the field, picked up bullets from the dead and kept firing until there were no more bullets to be found.
Finally, they could fight no more. A junior officer had made a mistake and pulled the supply wagons back. With no ammunition the exhausted troops were forced to fall back. Somewhere in the horrible carnage they left the wounded Elias Gamache, bleeding badly. As darkness fell, he retired to the company of his departed brothers. Like at Corinth, Federals piled the Confederate dead in ditches. But there at Baker?s Creek the hatred was so deep, they left the ditches uncovered so the wild hogs could feed on those sons of the South.
For five years, John and Elizabeth Gamache watched the road, hoping to see their sons. Five years they waited for a letter. But their prayers went unanswered. All they knew was, like so many others in blue and in gray, John, Jerome, and Elias never came home.
?Joe Johnston, Guest Contributor 
Gamache, Doctor Louis David (I5804)
2321 This account begins with the arrival of John Eugene Leitensdorfer in the United States (for information prior to that time see "The Remarkable Life and Adventure of John Eugene Leitensdorfer" by John Francis McDermott)
He arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in December, 1809. After visiting General Eaton, under whom he served during the War of Tripoli, he went to Washington where he served as a draftsman and surveyor under Henry Latrobe, architect of the Capitol. In 1811 he was awarded a Congressional grant of 320 acres of land west of St. Louis. A cursory search in the Recorder of Deeds office at St. Charles, Missouri, made in July 1983 revealed no record of this grant nor its disposition. (employees there stated that is not unusual for them to have no record of old land grants). A search of records at the St. Charles Historical Society did produce a record of his marriage to Euphrosine Gamache at St. Ferdinand de Florissant Church on August 17, 1812. Euphorsine was born January 22, 1794, to Jean Baptiste and Catherine Constant Gamache who migrated to St. Charles from Quebec, Canada. The Gamaches were a prominent family in St. Charles and a Dr. Gamache still lives there according to a Historical Societye employee.
When Euphrosine became afraid of the Indians they moved to Carondelet in South St. Louis, where some of her family lived. This move apparently took place in 1813 or 1814. John Eugene and Euphrosine had at least four children: Eugene born September 10, 1813; Thomas (my great grandfather) born in 1820; Josephine born in 1826; and Emilie (birthdate unknown). There is a record of her marriage to Samuel B. Fithian in 1849, and we know that Josephine married Norris Colburn. They had at least one child. (editor note - this is where things vary from what I (Susan Welch Brewer) have learned so far I show Eugene marrying Soledad Abreu. I will continue to research this) This son, Norris Eugene, married Soledad Abreu daughter of one of the governors of New Mexico (before it was a state). There is no record of any children. At some point he returned to St. Louis where he m arried Margaret Michau in 1850. They had two children, Edwin and Andrew. He later married Philomena Choquette. This union produced Antoine, Philomena and Eugene, whose descendants are still living in South St. Louis. They are Julia Leitensdorfer Burleson and her daughter, Jill, who have provided much of the above information. Thomas Leitensdorfer married Eliza Michau on May 14, 1845. She was born in de Garde, France on November 14, 1811 according to her tombstone or May 14, 1823 according to the 1850 census. She died on 1904 and is buried in Mt. Hope cemetery in St. Louis. They had one son, Joseph, (my grandfather) born January 31, 1847 according to his tombstone or January 20, 1851 as given in a Civil Service application found among his papers.
According to the Congressional Record, a Special Act of Congress awarded Colonel John Eugene Leitensdorfer another 320 acres of lan on February 6, 1835, for his services as a Colonel of the United States in Egypt and on the coast of Africa 1804-1805. The act states that the land warrant could be located with any register of land offices in the State of Missouri. I assume that he chose land in Carondelet since he built a home there in 1840. This two story brick building, located at 5602 Michigan Avenue, was demolished in 1961 to make way for the Ozark Expressway. Colonel Leitensdorfer died five years later on March 11, 1845. The bishop forbade his internment in a Catholic cemetery, so he was buried in teh Presbyterian cemetery on Franklin Avenue, St. Louis in a lot belonging to his son-in-law, Norris Colburn. A daughter by his first wife, Zigha Marzari, was then living in Trento, Italy.
Eugene and Thomas Leitensdorfer were traders in Colorado and New Mexico, bringing goods from St. Louis which they traded to the Indians for beaver skins and buffalo robes. They then sold these commodities for a good profit on their return trip. We don't know exactly when they went to the Southwest, but it appears that they may have been there as early as 1840. At some point the brothers owned a store in Santa Fe. They were often at Bent's Fort in Colorado where they were close associates of the Bents, also St. Louisians engaged in trade with the Indians. The Leitensdorfer brothers are mentioned several times in David Lavender's book "Bents Fort". Susan Magoffin, author of "Down the Santa Fe Trail and into Mexico", tells of seeing the Mexican wives of Eugene Leitensdorfer and George Bent (if indeed they were wives) in the big apartment at Bent's Fort. She also mentions their trading partner, Norris Colburn, husband of their sister Josephine. Both Thomas and Eugene were in the Mexican War serving as volunteers under Lt. de Courcey. At the close of the war on September 22, 1846, General Kearney appointed Charles Bent as governor of the conquered territory and Eugene Leitensdorfer as Territorial Auditro.
Thomas eventually married Eliza Michau on one of his return trips to St. Louis from the Southwest. We don't know when he finally left Eliza and their son and took up residence in Colorado or when Joseph joined him there. He apparently married again and had children according to letters and papers found among Joseph Leitensdorfer's papers. One letter from Attorney E. Palmer, St. Louis, dated 1892, states that Joseph is the only legitimate child of his father, which indicates that there were other children. A clipping from the St. Louis Globe Democrat dated April 7, 1904, includes a photo of Mrs. J. H. Perry of Pacific, MO. The caption states that she is the daughter of the late Colonel Thomas Leitensdorfer, a native St. Louisian who spent the greater part of his life in Santa Fe and portions of Colorado accompanied by General Kearney on his march to Chihuahua, Mexico in 1847. A letter dated February 8, 1918, postmarked Billings, Montana, addressed to Aunt Celestine Leitensdorfer and signed by an Emily Leitensdorfer, said that she had a brother, Joseph, living in Missouri. She enclosed a letter of Aunt Celestine's that had been missent to Billings, Montana. That was a real coincidence. Aunt Celestine was very curious about this woman identity and her relationship to Grandfather Leitensdorfer.
Thomas Leitensdorfer died March, 24, 1886 in Las Animas County, Colorado, eight miles north of Trinidad where he owned land. Proof of death and Letter of Administration of his Estate were dated October 6, andforwarded tohis son, Joseph. 
Family F4910
2322 This is the best of all the families on thelarrykinggen website. Herky was the much-loved family dog - a schnauzer, who has two nieces, Calli and Tess, owned by Diane Krause and Liz Helwig. Family F1
2323 This John was a son of John (1814-1859) and Elizabeth (1818-1896) [Cohea] Chadwell. On 21 March 1861 at Effingham Co., IL John married Nancy Manuel (1840-1902), a daughter of Frederick (1806-18840 and Tempy (1813-1885) [Tew] Manuel. Chadwell (Shadwell), John Richard (I24684)
2324 THOMAS A. GAMACHE, Associate, is a graduate of Loyola University Chicago (B.A.) and Loyola University Chicago - School of Law (J.D.), and served as a member of the ISBA moot court team, winning first place, best team brief, and best individual oralist.

Thomas has extensive experience in the defense and appeals of civil litigation, including construction, premises liability, commercial litigation, general liability and subrogation cases.

Thomas is admitted to practice in the State of Illinois and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.  
Gamache, Thomas Alexander (I8525)
2325 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I11953)
2326 Tool Engineer Gamache, Joseph Leo Ely (I73335369)
2327 Topsham--Edward J. Gamache, 83, of 82 Leanne St., died Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at Parkview Adventist Medical Center.
He was born in Brunswick, March 21, 1930, the son of Phillip and Delia Small Gamache. He attended St. John's School and Brunswick High School.
He married Muriel M. Belanger in Brunswick, Nov. 8, 1952.
Mr. Gamache was employed by Pejepscot Paper Co. for 30 years, retiring in 1987.
Mr. and Mrs. Gamache lived on Middle Bay Road, Brunswick for many years, where he sold fruits and vegetables.
He was a member of St. John the Baptist Church and was a volunteer fireman with the Brunswick Fire Department in the 1940's.
He was predeceased by two sons, Daniel and Michael, a brother Charles and a sister, Lucy Gamache.
He is survived by his wife, Muriel Gamache of Topsham; a daughter, Catherine Lowell and her husband Keith of Freeport, a son Daniel Gamache of Waterville; four granddaughters and one great grandson.
At his request, there will not be a funeral service at this time. Future interment will be in St. John's Cemetery, Brunswick.

Gamache, Edward Joseph (I7518)
2328 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F74
2329 Troy, New York, City Directory, 1947

living 120 Canvass St REAR Troy, NY 
Gamache, Hormidas (I73340270)
2330 Truck Driver Gamache, Nelson Lawrence (I6161)
2331 Truck Driver Gamache, William S. (I73340784)
2332 Trumpet player with Guy Lombardo Orchestra Baker, Fred Russell Jr. (I16565)
2333 Tuberculosis King, Mary (I154)
2334 Tuberculosis Daigle, Jean Baptiste (I73340063)
2335 tuberculosis Gamache, Arthur (I11483)
2336 tuberulosis, meningitits Gamache, Valentine Irene (I11484)
2337 Tuesday, September 10, 1996 (D7)
Spouse's Name: GRACE D. KUBOND
Birth Date: 05/17/1913
Death Date: 09/08/1996
Death Place: SAGINAW, MI
Cemetery: EASTLAWN 
Gamache, Clifford Hubert Sr. (I5507)
2338 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I73334733)
2339 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I73334732)
Two Cass Lake Boys Lose Lives in Jarvis Lake, Three Miles Northwest of Cass Lake.
Herald Special Service.
Cass Lake, Nov. 22. - Albert Gamache, aged 18, and Charles Boulang, aged 19, were drowned last night while skating on the shores of Jarvis lake, about three miles northwest of Cass Lake. The bodies of both boys were recovered at an early hour this morning.
The two boys had been stopping at the home of D. L. Gamache, father of Albert Gamache, and after supper last evening they decided to go skating on Jarvis lake. This lake is a small body of water and the ice had frozen but a short distance from the shore. As the boys did not return to the Gamache home, Mr. Gamache became alarmed for their safety and at midnight last night went in search of them. Mr. Gamache searched the shores of the lake and found the coats of the boys lying on the bank. A short distance from where the coats lay were found the hats of the two boys.
Mr. Gamache hastily summoned help and after dragging the lake for several hours the bodies were both brought to the surface and were taken to the Gamache home, where they were today being prepared for burial.
The Grand Forks Herald, Grand Forks, ND 24 Nov 1908

While Skating on Pond They Break Through Ice - Bodies Are Recovered.
(News Tribune Special.)
CASS LAKE, Minn., Nov. 22. - Albert Gamache and one Dupont were drowned in a small lake about two miles from here late yesterday afternoon while skating. Gamache and Dupont, who are both about 18 years of age, started to go skating in the afternoon and as they did not return at dark search was made and neither could be found. The search was continued until daylight this morning when the young men were found in about four feet of water. They had made a desperate effort to get out, have broken considerable ice in their efforts until their feet got stuck in the muddy bottom. Both were found close together with their caps sticking out of the water.
Gamache's father is a shoemaker here while the Dumont family live on a farm near the lake.
The Duluth News Tribune, Duluth, MN 24 Nov 1908
Gamache, Albert George (I73334861)
2341 Typho Malaria Gamache, Parmalea (I73337753)
2342 Typhoid Fever Gamache, Marie Albina Medora (I73337247)
2343 Typhoid Fever Gamache, Napoleon (I8137)
2344 Typhoid Fever Mailhotte, Wilfred Laurent (I73341876)
2345 U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995

Name: Henry L Gamache
Gender: Male
Residence Year: 1968
Street address: 14055 Cagliero 338-9885
Residence Place: La Puente, California, USA
Occupation: Mechanic
Spouse: Alma Gamache
Publication Title: La Puente, Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights and Bassett, City Directory, 1968 
Family F8352
2346 U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865

Name: Andrew R. Marks
Side: Union
Regiment State/Origin: Pennsylvania
Regiment: 123rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry
Company: I
Rank In: Sergeant
Rank Out: Sergeant
Alternate Name: Andrew R./Mark; A.R./Marks
Film Number: M554 roll 75 
Marks, Andrew R. (I26167)
2347 U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865

Name: Emerson Danforth
Side: Union
Regiment State/Origin: Michigan
Regiment: 3rd Regiment, Michigan Infantry (1st organization)
Company: I
Rank In: Private
Rank Out: Private
Film Number: M545 roll 10
Other Records: Learn More about this Regiment 
Danforth, Emerson E. (I21843)
2348 U.S. General Land Office Records, 1776-2015

Name: John J Chadwell
Issue Date: 10 Aug 1853
Place: Massac, Illinois, USA
Meridian: 3rd PM
Township: 014s
Range: 004E
Aliquots: W½NE¼
Section: 19
Accession Number: MW-0701-259
Document Number: 33723
Original URL:  
Chadwell, John (I24694)
2349 U.S. Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 1

Name: Gerald L Gamache
Birth Date: 24 Jul 1924
Phone Number: 784-2921
Address: 345 N 83rd St, Seattle, WA, 98103-4217 (1993) 
Gamache, Gerald (I22750)
2350 U.S. Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 1

Name: Joan F Theby
Birth Date: 23 Apr 1931
Phone Number: 428-4752
Address: 4424 St Leo, Saint Louis, MO, 63101
[4424 St Leo, St Louis, MO, 63101]
[2616 Heritage Lndg, Saint Charles, MO, 63303-6120 (1993)]  
Gamache, Joan F. (I8471)

      «Prev «1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 56» Next»

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 9.2.2, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.